Wednesday 3 August 2011

Bursting

What a glorious, extra long, long weekend. Kris took a few days off work so we could celebrate our anniversary together. It was so nice to get some extra time with him, and Eleanor loved the added attention. It also made moving back to 3B extremely easy! That's right, we are back to "normal"! Well, the Parent's Lounge is still quarantined and all my food is in there, but aside from that, normal! What a crazy week, but as I said, having Kris around over the weekend made it so much better. We even made it out for an anniversary dinner!

I must interject my thoughts here and draw attention to some very special people. Last night I got a "poppy-inny" from an old, old, old friend from elementary school, Natalie. She came by with a bag of delicious food, and I panicked as Eleanor was trying to get down for the night, and I wanted to get some alone time with Kris, and she simply gave me a hug and didn't fuss and off she went. I am in love with this girl, especially as all the food that was given to me last week (thank you Steph and Yung!!!) is currently behind a sealed door! Anyway, Kris and I run off into the night and decide to go for dinner. We can't afford it, but it's our anniversary, so we indulge. We're halfway through our meal when an old, old friend from high school pops over to say hi. Graham is a lovely guy who helped me with my fundraising for the NYC marathon two years ago. He regaled us with stories of his next endurance challenge and gave us big hugs and off he went. Well, when we went to pay the bill, the waitress informed us that an old friend had taken care of it. That poor waitress. I burst out crying (and am starting up again as I type this) and pretty much fell apart in the middle of the restaurant. My heart aches from these acts and I wonder how can people be so good? I think of all the good people in Mocute's Lithuanian church in Toronto who don't know Eleanor, and yet they held special masses just for her. I think of a patient of my dad's who got her church to do the same thing. I am overwhelmed by how much love and support a tiny being can receive, and how Kris and I, who are really just two douchebags standing in her shadow, can also be the beneficiaries of such incredible love and light. Some days it is too much for my broken heart to take.

Eleanor has been great. More than great, in fact, she has been super. Her oncologist was lurking around the ward yesterday and didn't even stop in to see her. What's there to say? She's perfect. Her counts are still super high today, so we get another day out. I'm on my own, so I have no idea what to do. Hmmmm... Anybody want to play?

1 comment:

  1. awww, I just saw this now! I am so, SO glad that I can help out in any small way. I am really glad (but not at all surprised) that you are getting so much love and support! You are an incredible person, and a great mom, Kate.
    xo

    ReplyDelete