Thursday 28 July 2011

2B or not 2B

So we moved. Again. We are back on the oncology unit but in 2B instead of 3B. 2B has bigger rooms and is generally used for teenagers or kids that don't require tons of monitoring (ie: not that sick). Eleanor does not fit either of these categories and we feel a bit weird here. Like all these moves, it won't be for long, so we won't get too comfortable, which means we stay uncomfortable. Great. Feeling a bit despondent, angry and tired as a result. It is unfortunate because I have had a whole lot of love poured on me this week so I should be feeling great. Maybe if the kid with the guitar next door would stop playing emo-pop-punk music I'd feel a bit better.

Eleanor is coping with this much better than I am. She's sailing through this round of chemo with very little trouble. She is throwing up a bit, but that's about it. The few times she has done it, there has always been a plausible reason. Last night, for example, she promptly threw up after tasting her first Gerber baby food. It claimed to be chicken, and it had the most repulsive smell. What were they thinking? Do kids actually eat that? I would like to feed her single protiens for her iron, but it's really tough in hospital. I have given her rice cereal and lots of different kinds of fruit but that's about it. Next time we get out on pass I will concoct something.

Oh, and another reason Eleanor is doing so well might have something to do with her new boyfriend. His name is Spencer and he's a whole year older, but she adores him. He was kind enough to lend E some pjs after she barfed all over her last pair. Super cute. She could be screaming her head off but as soon as Spencer shows up, she gets very quiet and watchful. Her big eyes watch his every move. I think it's love! He's down on 2B as well so that's making it a bit more bearable.

Not much else to report - I got most of her barf on me so I should probably change my clothes. I wonder if Spencer has an extra pair of pjs for me as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment