Thursday 14 July 2011

Sleepy Time Bear

Teary, red eyes greet me as I enter the room. "Mummy, I'm tired." It's okay, baby girl. I scoop her up in arms and bring her in close. Sweet Johnson's baby shampoo scented hair. Plump baby arms with soft smooth skin. Perfect little hands cling to my shirt. I dry her tear-streaked cheek with my own cheek. I feel her yield and settle her weight into my arms. Has she always been this darling? I hum a little tune and her sobs subside. I lay her down in her crib and the fussing begins again immediately. Twinkle, twinkle little star Like a newborn babe, I pull a blanket tightly around her in a swaddle. Up above the world so high She instantly snuggles down and allows her eyelids to close. I stroke her soft hair and pop her pacifier into her mouth. Like a diamond in the sky Pressing my lips to her forehead, I inhale the sterilized scent of the hospital. It is fast becoming a part of her. How I wonder what you are Her eyes flutter open as I step away. "It's sleepy time, bear." And she is sleepy. A few more grunts and protests and she agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment