Tuesday 29 November 2011

No Words

I've had words bouncing around in my head for the past 36 hours. Words and thoughts and feelings and when I open my mouth - nothing comes out. I'm a bit stumped, and quite unsure how to proceed, so bear with me, and I will do my best to bare with you (emotionally, not physically).

No Words
Kris often uses the expression "No words" when I send him photos of Eleanor looking amazing, or doing something cute or just generally being awesome. He claims that this was the first thing said when the astronauts landed on the moon. I thought it was when they saw the first earthrise from the dark side of the moon, but when I looked it up, it was not said on either occasion. I think our memories are stemming from a clever ad that has forever been implanted in our heads by some corporate conglomerate, like Nike or Apple. I really want to link this quote to something profound, but for my intents and purposes, it will have to stand on its own.

I have no words.

Eleanor's oncologist wants to stop chemo after this round. He thinks the 7 rounds of platinum drugs (carboplatin and cisplatin) is too much for a baby, especially if she is not responding. Her hearing and kidney function are indicators that her body is not tolerating it well and there has been very little change in the lung mets. Apparently we have gotten to the point that we are causing her more harm than good, and it's time to stop.

What does this mean? Our options are pretty slim. They are unwilling to "cherry pick" her lungs because the nodes are too spread out. There are a couple of drugs that aren't frontline drugs that she could try, but there is very little chance they will do anything. They will scan her again after this round to see if anything has changed, and I am hoping they will do a biopsy to see if these nodes are active or not. They could be scar tissue, but nobody is really deluding themselves with that possibility.

My daughter will always have cancer. She won't go into remission. She won't live a long and healthy life.

A spouse who outlives their partner is a widow(er). A child who outlives their parents is an orphan. There are no words for a parent who outlives their child.

Yup.

No words.

Love you so much, little bear

9 comments:

  1. Kate, I'm sorry to read about this. Eleanor, keep on fighting!! Show cancer what you're made of! You're doing great!

    Casey from FTC Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, my heart breaks and physically hurts reading this. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through but I want you to know that I'm crying and praying for you, Kris and Baby Eleanor.
    Love from Calcutta,
    Jobes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dont give up.whem.told.me.luc would not get better and die i went.to.natural medicine and went.away from.any.type of.drugs . and..hes doing mich.better 4 pounds.to.15.where they said was impossable.was.!!!! although expensive very much worth it . just because a doctor said its soooo doesnt mean its so . your journey is ended with drugs is all try something that you havent tried and if anything it will make her feel better and less invasive , hang in there and love her as she does you !!! Maybe natural.medicine.is the answer.where there was.none before take.care.hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been following your blog since seeing the link on Anaya's page. I have been thinking of you all often and hoping that Eleanor can beat this. I have no experience with my children being ill, but have had older relatives with cancer..."no words" seems more than adequate. I hope that you can have faith that she will beat this, and most importantly, I really hope that her little body will give her the strength to do so.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your family are incredibly strong. Keep fighting baby Eleanor, sending all of the strength and love in the world to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've recently started following your blog and Facebook group. My heart breaks for you and your family.

    But there is always hope. One doctor's word is not fate. Children beat the odds. Eleanor can too. I have faith in her.

    And in the meantime, you are clearly giving her the very best life you can. What a gorgeous, happy baby.

    I was involved in the Anaya Initiative at the beginning, and I've contacted Natalie to see if I can help you in any way. Please let me know. You are all in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate,
    If anyone can know what those "no words" feel like, it's me.
    I will help you however I can. Please reach out to me. My life has space in it for you and your family.

    Love,
    Camara
    778-995-0593

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kate,
    I was sad to read this post this morning. I have been thinking of you all day. My heart is hanging just a little heavier today. I have to say that my daughter Lucy had an undetected heart defect and we lived at Sick Kids for a month, so I can kind of relate to the living at the hospital/sick baby portion of your story. Lucy got excellent care there and it was a weird chunk of my life where I was functioning for my baby and nothing else. We were lucky in that we were only there for a month and after Lucy's open heart surgery her health has been great. Just an annual detailed check-up and regular monitoring from our pediatrician is all we have to do. I am not sure what to say because Paul and I realized that we too were really powerless to change what was happening to our daughter (no words). All I know is being there for Lucy and with Lucy was the best medicine for us all. I will keep thinking positive thoughts for you, I have you in my mind. Stay strong. Keep blogging.

    xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate,

    My son, Kaeden, and I were in the same baby group as you a few times at MT. Am so sorry to hear about your struggle. If you need anything - meals, respite, a shoulder - please, please just let me know.

    - Erin
    browniegirl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete