Tuesday 20 September 2011

Lucky 13

Today is Day 13. Today is her "bottom out" day; the day her counts hit absolute zero.

We woke up late and had to hustle to her audiology appointment. It went poorly in more ways than one. The first part was tough because her hearing is very clearly going. It is just the high frequency range she can't hear, but she will need extensive speech therapy to be able to pronounce "f", "sh" and "tss" sounds properly. The second part of her test was a struggle because she clearly was starting to feel lousy. She fell asleep the moment I placed her back in her bed.


We had lots of visitors, which was nice. Eleanor was quite courteous for the most part, and her nurse and I were patting ourselves on the back. "Look at how low her counts are!" we exclaimed. "She is doing pretty well!" which really means we are doing well. And no sooner had we decided that she wasn't going to need CMI (continous morphine infusion) than she went south. Fast. She has been moaning for the past six hours and she spiked a fever. They gave her some Tylenol and she has been getting hydromorphone every two hours. She'll start CMI in the morning. She seems to take some comfort from being held against my shoulder. I guess gravity helps keep the mucous down. My clothes are covered in it. Her whole body is hot. Her breath is hot. Can you hear me sighing?

It could be worse. I wrote a post while we were in ICU about the breast pump ordeal. Well, the woman I was "sharing" the pump with is back in hospital with her now-three-month old baby girl. Her daughter is not doing well and they are being flown to Edmonton tomorrow to wait for a heart transplant. My heart breaks for her and her family. Edmonton is far and transplants are scary. Nancy, if you are reading this, I pray that Abi will thrive and that you, Jamie and Hailey will find the strength to get through this next chapter. If Abi has one-tenth of the gumption and determination that her mother has, I am sure she will be fine.

Right. So much for my early night. It has taken me almost four hours to write this as Eleanor has been unsettled since I put her to bed. Tomorrow is Day 14 and today will be distant history, until next round, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment