Tuesday 28 February 2012

March Madness

I know it's not March yet, but I'm already warming up. I'm doing some neck rolls, I'm shaking out my arms, I'm jogging in place, maybe throw in a little one-two punch and run up the steps of the Philidelphia Museum of Art... I'm getting ready. Are you ready for me, March? 'Cause I'm coming for you! Oh yes, it.is.on!!

That stupid NG tube is coming out.

It sounds so simple, right? Just feed your damn baby. Well, we do that, and she eats pretty well. She's up a whole kilogram since we were discharged. The problem is not her eating or even her fluid requirement (800ml/day), it's the stupid Mitotane. She has to take it to live, but it's so hard to get in her.

Yo, mitotaaaaaane!!!!

It's an orphan drug and we can't get it in a kid-friendly compound. It's only effective when ingested with something high in fat and they've found that high-fat dairy products are the best. We have made the first step and switched from 4x in a 24hr period to 3x in a 12 hour period, but now the real test comes. We have to give it to her in a spoonful of yogurt. Her absolute favourite food is coconut yogurt, and then we are going to ruin in it by mixing in a crushed pill. 3 times a day! Oh, the agony! She's never going to trust me with food again.

But it's time. By the end of March that tube that has been plastered to her cheek for the past nine months will be a distant memory. It's going to take work and persistence and it's not going to easy, but I'm ready to try. Start saying your goodbyes, tube, 'cause your days are numbered.

Cue "Gonna Fly Now"

(And yes, I know "march madness" is a college basketball thing, but I'm taking creative liberties here. I'm allowed. My kid has cancer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment