Tuesday 14 February 2012

Happy Anna Howard Shaw Day!

Ah love. Love is a glass of red and your husband allowing you to eat half of his double chocolate cookie and the crumbs in the bottom of the bag. Mmmm cookie crumbs...

Eleanor's Valentine's Day was fairly uneventful. We went shopping with Granny and I put her in the "seat" in the grocery cart for the first time. I wiped it down 80 times first, and she loved it, especially when we pushed her away and let go of the cart. Yah, my mum has had four kids and I have one and we still make terrible parenting choices. But her face! Oh, her face! She was in heaven. We stopped at Noodle Box for lunch afterwards and she had a completely white meal. White rice, bean sprouts, tofu and chicken. So much white food, but she really enjoyed it! I haven't fed her rice since the hospital and I must add it to our menu plan. She was all about it. We met Kris after work and went for a walk. It got cold really fast and she began to get ornery, so Kris carried her the rest of the way home, wrapped up in all her blankies. I had flashbacks to June and one of our last family walks before this all started. Eleanor got ornery then as well, so Kris carried her. It was warm and we didn't have a hat for her, so Kris wrapped her in a receiving blanket.


You can see how fat her tummy was and her face and neck were so swollen. My poor little bear. I know every parent thinks their kid is the smartest/best looking/funniest thing ever, but looking at her today, peering over her daddy's shoulder - wow is she every good looking now. I suppose it's the dichotomy of where she was to where she is now. I thought the same thing in August, but when I look at photos of her then, she still looks so cushionoid. I definitely have parent-goggles on when I look at her.

She went to bed peacefully, wearing her big cousin Bea's old pyjamas, and hopefully she will sleep through the night. She has been waking up and staying up in the middle of the night and it is pretty wearing on all of us. Two night ago, I finally got her back to sleep after three hours of trying, and then I noticed she had rubbed her NG tube loose. It wasn't out, but the stickers had given out and it was just hanging off her face. Ah! Panic! I had to manoeuvre myself very carefully so it didn't fall out, wake up Kris and stick it back down with his help. It is a two-person job AT BEST and we did not do a very good job. The tape was practically in her eye and pulling it slightly downwards. Thank God for the nurses at the Victoria General oncology clinic. They fixed it up later that day and her eye stopped drooping. Ugh. Another parenting fail. We are working hard to get rid of that tube, but it's going to take a few more weeks at least.

Speaking of removing things, we have gotten the green light to remove Eleanor's central line! It's handy to have for blood work, but she only needs blood work once or twice a month, so her docs have agreed to take it out! She will be able to have normal (and frequent) baths! And go swimming! And we won't live in constant fear of her pulling it out and bleeding to death! Hooray! It's very exciting to think that we will be able to enjoy our baby girl without all these foreign objects coming out of her, and it will make us a little more relaxed leaving her with other people. We never do that.

Oh my, I have gotten sidetracked. And I should get back to my husband. And his cookies. It is Valentine's Day after all. Regardless of romantic love, I hope all of you are enjoying love and being loved by every special person in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment