Tuesday 28 June 2011

Bette Davis Eyes

My daughter has incredible eyes. I suspect that people are drawn to them out of politeness because her cushionoid features were/are a little alarming, but her eyes are what hold their attention and get all the comments. It doesn't hurt that her eyelashes are 10 feet long either!

They have an incredible knowing look to them; she really takes you in when she looks at you. Tonight as she grabbed my nose and pulled my face close for inspection, she looked at me as if to say, "it's okay. I'm okay, and you're okay too". And then she proceeded to play peek-a-boo with a washcloth.

I don't know much about anything, but I know this kid is fucking amazing. All these kids are. We have been surrounded by such heartbreaking stories since arriving at the hospital, but the only hearts that are breaking are the ones who listen. These kids are just getting on with getting better. Heaven sent, heaven blessed, every last one of them.

No doubt she is going to get puffy and swollen again. Her cheeks will swell up and try and hide those eyes, but I know that even if she can't see me, she will still grab my nose and pat my cheek. "It's okay. I'm okay, and you're okay too."

No comments:

Post a Comment