Sunday 26 June 2011

Bizarre Pump Triangle

I'm fighting my own dragons these days. One of them is the hospital breast pump. Blerg.

Our relationship began two weeks ago when Eleanor went in for her first surgery. I breast fed her for the final time at 3:30am on Saturday June 11. Then I met the pump. At first it was cool; we had a fairly good repor and we saw each other exclusively for a few days. Then things started to change. Sometimes when I went to see the pump, he wouldn't be there. I would wait around for what seemed like hours for him to show up. Then he would turn up in some random corner of the ICU and claim he had been there all along. I started to suspect that maybe there was someone else. We had never had "the talk" about seeing each other exclusively, so technically he could but I still was a bit shocked. We were getting along great! Why did he have to go hiding on me?!?

Eleanor was moved to a bed by the window following her second surgery. That was when everything fell apart. Turns out it's easy to get caught cheating when your women live next door to each other! Her name was Nancy and she has a three week old baby with a heart condition. I was furious, and our relationship immediately began to crumble. I was in such an emotional daze, I started seeing another pump right away - which is so unlike me. He is my go-to pump and is portable but nothing like the hospital pump. My supply and my heart began to decrease. I just didn't have the same feeling with this portable pump. Lucky for me, our time in the ICU was over and we could start fresh up in the ward.

I met someone new as soon as we had arrived. His wheels were a little rusty, but aside from that, he was everything I could have ever hoped for in a pump - and he was all mine. No sooner had we started our all encompassing affair when Eleanor shows up on the scene. Talk about drama! I now know what ICU pump must have felt like! It's tough splitting your time! I feed the baby and then run down the hall to meet the pump. I don't know how much more of this I can take. It's exhausting!

1 comment:

  1. kate, I love your sense of humour and your strength! keep fighting mama, and you will pull your little one through, I know it.
    xoxo
    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete