Friday 29 June 2012

E.L.E

Whenever something goes awry with Eleanor, we call it an E.L.E (pronounced Ellie) for extinction level event. This could happen when the dog ignores her affectionate advances or when she bumps her head on the crib or when we offer her food that isn't cheese. It is similar in scope to a Kate-tastrophe, but it is strictly Eleanor's domain.

We had one tonight. I thought it would be a great idea to go to the park before dinner to enjoy some of this very elusive sunshine. I sprayed her arms with sunblock and put her hat on and buckled her into the stroller and headed out for the swings. Well, she must have rubbed her eye with her arm because she cried for the next two hours! We flushed her eye really well and I am sure it is fine, but she was awfully uncomfortable. Poor bear. I snapped the photo below during a brief calm period.

And yes, I am writing a silly post about sunscreen because I can't deal with my fears and griefs about Lucas, who is still fighting his angel wings from growing. I can't believe that he is going through this so soon. Fucking cancer. Why can't it just be something that takes the very, very old? Why do these babies have to endure this? At least Eleanor's disease is a genetic mutation; she was born this way and will always have it on her doorstep. Why Lucas? Why did he get a fairly treatable type of cancer in a totally untreatable place? Where is the logic in that? I guess I could ask that about anything. Why did my friend's 2 year-old niece get struck down by a car? What higher power was overseeing THAT chain of events? One moment healthy and happy, the next - under the wheels of a minivan, barely alive.

I have to stop going on Facebook. I know too many sick babies.

When people say "At least I have my health!", they don't realize how lucky they are.

I am counting our blessings tonight. If Eleanor's sore eye is the only health hiccup we have (and it is - her hormone levels came back normal. All of them. Her breast buds and pubic hair are even starting to diminish!), then we are the luckiest people alive.

Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment