Tuesday 24 April 2012

Sidetracked For A Good Cause: part 2

In light of me leaving my kickass job as a fundraiser at Free The Children and because Eleanor is so gosh darn boring these days - what, with her good health and sunny disposition - I thought I would highlight some awesome projects and causes that I feel are important.

Remember to wear your jeans this Thursday!

This Thursday is Jeans Day in support of the BC Children's Hospital Foundation!

I remember my first Jeans Day way back when. We were told that we could only wear jeans: no cutoffs, no dresses, no skirts. So naturally a few people decided to break the rules and were promptly sent home from school. My good friend Julia was one of the offenders. She wore cutoffs, but not scary Coachella-esque, cut-to-there cutoffs. Just normal, middle of the thigh cutoffs with a pair of cap-toed sneakers and a plaid shirt as it was 1994, after all. Right in the middle of the grunge heyday, though that fashion could easily still be rocked today... yikes. I am old!

Anyway, it struck me as dumb that we got hung up on exactly what kind of jeans to wear, and that was the memory that stuck with me about this fundraiser. It wasn't until last year when I saw a pin at my local Thrifty's that I even knew what foundation Jeans Day benefited. Now I know that supporting the BCCH Foundation will help build a new hospital that will provide state of the art care to children like mine. So please, wear your Canadian Tuxedo or cutoffs or jeggings this Thursday. Give generously and wear your button with pride. And when people ask you, "Dude, why are you rocking a denim vest?" you can tell them you are wearing it for Baby Eleanor!

For more information, check out their website or find it on Facebook.

My name is Eleanor Goudie, and I approve this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment