Wednesday 4 December 2013

Christmas Pondering...

Christmas is in full swing at the Goudie house. Christmas tunes blast all day long with singalongs and impromptu dance parties. I feel deeply connected to all the songs written during WW2 that are rife with longing and hope. I still bawl my eyes out every time I hear Judy Garland sing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas". Her voice is heartbreaking and I turn into a hot mess when she sings,

"Through the years we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow..."

The war is over and yet the sadness lingers. I wonder if all war vets (whatever their war may be) feel the same way?

Edited to add:
I feel oddly cheated when the lyric is "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough" because we have never put a star or angel or anything at the top of our tree. We can never find the *perfect* tree topper, so we leave it alone. And I think it discredits all those who have "muddled".

No comments:

Post a Comment