Sunday 24 November 2013

Baile!

I remember going with my sister-in-law to my then 3 year old neice's hip hop class. All the mums sat in the waiting room and chatted while their tiny children boogied in the next room to "Can't Touch This". I was very newly pregnant with Eleanor and it felt like the most surreal thing in the world. Those kids were just babies! Why do we put babies in classes? Why do we sit here and chat like this is a NORMAL thing to do?? Well, because 3 year olds aren't babies and it is pretty normal for kids to do stuff. And it's freaking adorable. 

I signed Eleanor up for this creative dance class at a new dance studio in the neighbourhood. It was partly because I want her to explore her physicality but also because I want to see how she follows direction. I think she's ready for more than I am willing to admit. I have put her on waiting lists at two preschools and after seeing her dance, I think everyone will be ready when the time comes. She's a little rough around the edges, a little bit reluctant to go with the flow...

But she gets there eventually.


And she had so much fun. I can't believe how much fun she had. She even made a friend! We arrived early and there was one other girl there. The two of them played follow the leader and ran around giggling. Then this girl blew a raspberry and Eleanor enthusiastically blew one back. Her mother got all up in arms and tried to stop this "bad" behavior but I was doing cartwheels on the inside. She was communicating with someone her own age! Spontaneously! I think even if the class had been a bust, it would have been worth it for that interaction alone. But it wasn't a bust. It was amazing and don't take my word for it. See for yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment