Monday 16 September 2013

Say "Ahhhhh...!"

Today I was graced with the task of taking Eleanor to the dentist. In Vancouver.
Road trip...?
ROAD TRIP!!

We went to see the dentist here a few months back and made the decision to move her care over to BC Children's. We could get her teeth fixed here, but it would take a lot longer and I was assured that if we went the BCCH route, it would be done before Christmas.

And the irony of making a trip to Vancouver three months into our first six-month scan rotation is not lost on me!

I took a peek in her mouth earlier this week, and it is pretty devastating. Her top right baby molar is all but gone. It's just a brown, rotten stump. I take some solace in the fact that it was probably dead when it broke through, as it doesn't seem to cause her any pain. I hope it doesn't cause her any pain. The dentist said to watch out for swelling and any other sign of infection, otherwise her surgery is booked for the end of November. They will extract the ones they can't save, which costs less (yay!), but will probably mean orthodontic work later (boo).

Dental plan!

Lisa needs braces.

Dental plan! 

I have to say, the staff in the dentist office were incredible. The dentist was so awesome with Eleanor. I have no faith that she will do as she's told or stay calm, but some health professionals are so incredible with kids, even Eleanor will comply! Or maybe she's just less cranky.
It is pretty hard to be cranky with these cool shades.

The receptionist found a loophole after I recoiled at the price tag attached to the consult. In fairness, it was over $100! For a five minute visit! But she made it work and another lady came and talked to me about payment plans and government assistance. People really take pity on those of us without dental insurance. I knew about all the programs they offered, I just liked them being so lovely to me. It was kind of a crazy day. Hauling Eleanor and her sister all the way to Children's and back on my own was a teensy bit stressful. Eleanor was pretty good, but by the time we got on the ferry to come home, Penelope had reached her limit. She's asleep beside me right now and still sniffling from crying so hard. Poor thing. Eleanor basically put herself to bed and told her daddy before he left her room, "Daddy? Home. Mummy, daddy, baby home."

                          ***

Eleanor met a boy on the ferry. He took her by the hand and walked her around the top deck. Twice. There's that compliance again! 
The further she gets away from cancer treatment, the less feisty she seems to be. Whenever she gets into situations like this or when a kid takes something from her, I always get down to her level and tell her she can say "no". She rarely ever does. 


Unless it is her sister who is ruining her mojo. Then it's fair game!

Tummy time in the playground, anyone?

I try not to interfere too much, because I know she is capable of saying "no", and if it was really upsetting her, she would show it in some way or another. I just wish she would show a little of that spark to the rest of the world. I wish she would display what we see at home to the world around us. I hope she knows what an incredible warrior she is. Sometimes she just seems so passive.



Yoink. 

Bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment